Almost everyone faces skin concerns, with acne and skin pigmentation spots ranking high among the most common and frustrating. Why? Both skin issues constantly hinder the appearance of a clear complexion in men and women of all ages and require proper care or treatment to eliminate.
At Symbios Medical Spa, we believe in addressing the root causes of common skin imperfections. To help you achieve and maintain healthy skin, let’s proactively examine ways to prevent specific underlying causes, understand other vital factors that may impact your skin health, and conclude with tips and products for at-home solutions.
Hormonal fluctuations stand out as a prevalent catalyst for acne. During our pivotal life stages, especially around menstruation for women, hormonal imbalances emerge, resulting in excess sebum or oil production. The surplus oil can clog the skin’s pores, leading to unwelcome breakouts. While hormones usually rebalance naturally, you can manage their effects by maintaining diligent skincare routines and using the medical-grade skincare products recommended by Symbios.
Your skin’s vitality is closely linked to your diet. Poor nutrition, especially vitamins A, B3, D, and E deficiencies can affect your cell turnover, skin hydration, oil regulation, and more. Avoiding processed foods and eating a balanced diet rich in omega 3s from proteins, fats, and green veggies are essential to maintaining good skin health. If you are wondering if your nutrition meets your skin’s needs, consider Symbios Lab or Symbios Nutrition for an evaluation and, if necessary, steps toward better food selections. A simple blood draw can check for vitamin deficiencies, and expert dietary guidance is available by scheduling a consultation with our resident nutrition practitioner, Jean Magarelli, RN, NN.
Stress can wreak havoc on your skin. When stressed, your body produces hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline, which can induce skin inflammation, leading to acne breakouts and emerging pigmentation spots. If your skin issues coincide with elevated stress, consider practicing stress-management techniques such as exercise classes at SymbiosFIT, a beach walk, a custom spa facial, or other methods that relieve tension.
Genes and Hereditary Factors
Occasionally, acne and skin pigmentation concerns can trace their roots to genetics or familial predispositions. If your family has a history of individuals prone to blemishes or hyperpigmentation, you may be more susceptible to these challenges. While genetics influence skin health, you can still wield considerable control over these matters by selecting the right skincare products and steering clear of potential triggers in your diet and environment.
In addition to stress, other lifestyle factors can compromise your skin’s vitality. Smoking, alcohol consumption, inadequate sleep, sun exposure without proper sunscreen, and subpar hygiene are a few of the main culprits. To shield your skin from these pitfalls, cultivate a healthy lifestyle and adhere to recommended sun protection and skincare. Additionally, our licensed medical aesthetician, Maddy Fox, can assist you in developing a beneficial skincare regimen tailored to your needs.
You Don’t Have to Battle Skin Problems Alone
Tackling the onset of acne and pigmentation spots head-on includes at-home and medical spa remedies. Knowing the factors influencing your skin, from hormonal fluctuations to dietary choices, stress levels, genetics, and lifestyle habits, empowers you to make informed decisions.
At Symbios Medical Spa, we are dedicated to helping you achieve clear skin practically, holistically, and sustainably. We understand that your skin is unique, and we personalize our expert guidance and offer skin solution options through a comprehensive consultation. With the proper knowledge and commitment, you can embrace a vibrant and confident complexion by taking charge of your skin’s well-being. Call 843.738.4000 to achieve the beautiful, healthy skin you deserve.
Symbios Recommended Skincare Products
EltaMD Sunscreen is highly recommended by Symbios and doctors worldwide. It has a sheer, silky, bendable formula for everyday use to reduce discoloration caused by sun damage. EltaMD’s pure ingredients and light application make it ideal for blemish-prone skin.
An accelerated skin science that heals and protects. It also helps transform blemish-prone skin into a flawless complexion.
The Hydrinity skincare line is formulated with well-known hyaluronic acid (HA) ingredients, PPM technology, and numerous peptides and antioxidants and includes:
- Hyacyn Active Purifying Mist is a lightweight, microbiome-friendly mist that provides anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties to balance the skin’s pH and promote healing.
- Restorative HA Serum is a hydrating and healing serum meant to improve texture smoothness and accelerate the healing of sensitive or compromised skin.
Symbios Medical Spa has products ready for your skincare regimen, or you can ship them directly to your home through this link.
- Refresh: Advanced care begins with a thorough cleanse to balance oils and moisture without stripping the skin.
- Protect and rejuvenate your skin with antioxidants, vitamins, sunblock, and more with Protect Collection.
- Clear skin with the complete acne care line; try blemish-prone, including an oxygen-infused wash and AlphaRet Clearing serum.
- Moisturize and lock in hydration with a full line of skin dryness to meet all skin needs.
ZO Skin Health
ZO skincare products are perfect for skin brightening, hydration, and anti-aging. Symbios recommends ZO for acne-prone or sensitized skin.
- Get Ready: Try double washing your face before bed; the first wash should be with an oil-based cleanse to remove makeup, dirt, and oil. Symbios can determine your skin type for your ideal second cleanser. ZO has a gentle cleanser for all skin types or oily and acne-prone skin; we recommend their exfoliating cleanser every other day.
- ZO Skin Health offers illuminating serums that help reduce skin discoloration and are used in the morning for sun protection to defend your skin. Defense serums heal your skin in the PM. Thoroughly rub in serums on freshly cleansed and dried skin for deep penetration.
- Treat discoloration with proven brightening creams.
- Hydrate: Is your skin dehydrated or genetically dry? Symbios can evaluate your skin type to address moisturizing needs. Renewal Cream is an excellent choice for protecting from mild dryness, and Recovery Cream treats more moderate hydration concerns.
Please contact Symbios Medical Spa at 843.738.4000 for a complete listing of our products and a consolation to discover which professional skincare regimen is best for you.